The origins of Espinho goes back to a group of fishermen who settled there for the great abundance of fish, sleeping in improvised shelters, often using their own boats upside down.
Back in the days of Roman domination, in the region there was a fort called “Castro de Ovil”, a town first referenced in a document in 1013, which was based on a small hill surrounded by a circular ditch on the north and east, and a river to the south and west, which is currently the town of Paramos.
The religious devotion of the people from the region, helped to build, throughout the centuries, some of the monuments scattered around Espinho. The parish church dedicated to “Nossa Senhora da Ajuda” is an example of that. It was built in 1920 and follows the Neo-Romantic style.
Espinho is famous for its centennial open air market, gastronomy, the Solverde casino, and several others possibilities in tourism and leisure.